White Chocolate Jelly Bean Cupcakes w/Jelly Bean Buttercream
These White Chocolate Jelly Bean Cupcakes are SO cute and perfectly festive for Easter - or just springtime itself! The cake is made with white chocolate, giving it a yummy chocolatey flavor. I used Brach's Tiny Jelly Bird Eggs in the batter for a fun hidden surprise when you take your first bite! The buttercream is created by cooking and releasing the juice from white jelly beans into water. The cupcakes are beautifully topped with the pastel colors of Brach's Speckled Jelly Bird Eggs!
- 1/4 cup Brach's Tiny Jelly Bird Eggs , cut in half + 1 tsp. flour (to prevent jelly beans from sinking to bottom of cupcakes)
- 1 4 ounce bar good-quality white baking chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour + 1 teaspoon (to prevent jelly beans from sinking to bottom of cupcakes)
- 1/4 cup cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, room temperature
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 stick butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 pound (3-4 cups) powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- small handful white Brach's Tiny Jelly Bird Eggs
- Brach's Speckled Jelly Bird Eggs, for topping
- For the Cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cupcake pan with 12 liners. Set aside.
- Cut the Jelly beans in half and mix with 1 teaspoon flour in a small bowl. This will prevent them from sinking to the bottom of the cupcakes. Set aside.
- Place white chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Bring a saucepan of water to a simmer over medium heat. Turn off the heat and place the bowl in hot water. Let it stand, stirring occasionally, until chocolate is melted and smooth. Do not let any water get in the bowl with the chocolate as this will cause it to clump! Remove bowl from water and allow it to cool slightly.
- In a small bowl, whisk together all-purpose flour, cake flour, baking powder and salt.
- Stir together the milk and vanilla in a glass measuring cup.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or using a handheld electric mixer, beat together sugar and butter on high speed until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition, scraping sides of bowl as needed.
- Beat in the chocolate. Reduce speed to low and slowly beat in the flour mixture, alternating with the milk and vanilla mixture in 2 additions. Beat well after each addition, just to combine.
- Fold the halved jelly beans into the batter, just to incorporate.
- Use a spoon or 1/3-cup measuring cup to scoop batter into each cup of prepared cupcake pan.
- Bake 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Let cupcakes cool 10 minutes, then remove from muffin cups and transfer to a wire rack. Let cool completely before frosting.
- For the Frosting: Combine white colored jelly beans (so that the color of frosting does not change) with the water in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook until color has left the jelly beans.
- Cream butter and shortening in bowl of stand mixer until smooth.
- Add vanilla and combine.
- Gradually add in the powdered sugar, mixing on low speed.
- Add the Jelly bean juice to the frosting, adjusting the powdered sugar as needed, until desired consistency has been reached. Top cupcakes with frosting and Brach's Speckled Jelly Beans.